Thursday, August 5, 2010

Unexpected Friendly Reminder

This morning just as my bus was coming to an unceremonious halt at my all too familiar bus stop in the city, I looked outside the window and to my absolute delight; I saw the most unexpected thing I could have possibly imagined seeing on a dull winter morning in the city of Perth.

Here, thousands and thousands of kilometres from my home was a lady making her way who knows where, dressed from head to toe in traditional African attire. Her beautiful mustard and brown patterned dress and matching head piece was like a magnet; my gaze followed her until she disappeared into the corporate city crowds from my sight.

I smiled all the way on the rest of my walk to work. She reminded me that Africa, South Africa, my home, is not a place, it’s not far away, and it’s not out of my reach just because I am not there. I carry it with me every day, it is in me, the clothes that I wear, the way that I talk, the food that I eat, my language, my choice of music and most importantly; with me, always, in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails