Thursday, July 15, 2010

Paella is a seafood dish


For someone that struggles so shut up sometimes, this is very unfamiliar territory indeed.


Speechless.


Actually, not so much speechless, just speech-unsure. It would be ridiculous for a speechless person to write a blog. Since this is the first post on my hopefully witty and entertaining blog, I feel tremendous pressure to make this a good one, a standard against which all my future posts can be measured. Choke.


I think a good starting point would be to introduce myself and my blog.


My name is Elaine. Nice to meet you. Or I think at least. It’s just a saying, no one ever meets someone and says: “I’m not sure if it’s nice to meet you, but give me some time, and I will judge you enough to come to that conclusion eventually”. But for now, let’s just say “delighted to make your acquaintance”. Honestly, I don’t even know what acquaintance means. But I got the spelling right at least. Anyway, Elaine, that’s me, for obvious reasons, that is what my parents named me.


I decided to call my blog, Petticote Notes.
I love petticoats, they are a little blast of the past, although, that is not what intrigues me about them most. I like the fact that they’re hidden, not obvious, underneath, one layer behind the everyday visible, enticing, and whimsical. I know that is a lot coming from someone who hardly ever wears petticoats, but then again, who does these days? Maybe grannies. Yes. I think grannies wear petticoats.
This is not a blog about fashion, my granny, or anything else in particular, but simply some of my thoughts of things that I have noticed, experienced, disliked, experimented and downright just want to say something about.




You might be thinking, why would an ordinary, everyday person make a blog just about nothing at all in particular? Well, don’t you worry about that. But if you must know. ..I am a South African expat now living in Australia. 5 months and counting. I have very diligently kept in touch with a lot of friends and family back home. Emailing and postcards just don’t cut it any longer. I needed a more creative platform to connect with them. So this is it. In my notes, you will find cultural paella of new Aussie experiences, a longing for some of my old cultural titbits and a mixture of the feelings that I am experiencing whilst stuck in the middle.


Enjoy, I certainly am. . .

3 comments:

  1. i miss you my dear, although we are probably a 5hour plain drive away :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I have worked my way all the way back to "Home" ... sort of like Snakes and Ladders, but with a much happier result. I've loved every moment of it. And now, I have to somehow pull my head out of all this blog beauty. What a great problem to have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacquiline, you simply made my day!
    Your comments lit up my face and put a smile in my heart.
    Thank you so much..
    xox

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails