Saturday, July 31, 2010

Before Photoshop and tiny cameras

I am a keen scuba diver. I love being in the water, not so much in my wetsuit, though. When I first started diving, I used up all my money on equipment and courses, so a camera had to take the back seat. I ended up taking disposable waterproof cameras on all my dives. These little gems seize function at 15m, at that depth all you see is water and bubbles, no fish yet. So by the time I actually got down to the reef, my camera was not functioning at all which meant that most of the photos I ended up with was me with a very seasick looking face on the boat. Not good. Last Christmas, my mom bought me an underwater casing for my digital camera. It's not the most expensive or high-tech model on the market, but it makes my underwater snapping experience a hell of a lot easier and my photos look a lot better. Underwater photography is just amazing and I absolutely love it..



Here are some pictures taken by Bruce Mozert in Silver Springs, Florida in 1938. Bruce built the underwater casing for his camera himself. It’s amazing to look at these pictures now, having tried my hand at underwater photography myself, not only taking pictures, but also posing for them as a fun experiment with my friends as the photographers in my family pool. These pictures might look simple but I can only imagine the amount of time and effort that must have gone into them. If you yourself have ever been underwater, you will know that without a weight belt, you pretty much float to the surface automatically, so kudos to these ladies in the snaps who managed to stay underwater and look gorgeous whilst doing so. I love these pictures because they are the real deal, just the camera, the water and the subject. Enjoy.







1 comment:

  1. hello Shirley-Anne here . Found you by accident . Love love love your blog . have ticked love it ..[ you might have guessed ] for these deliciously delightful underwater photos.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails